So this isn’t an illustration or graphic design job posting, but it is a pretty awesome looking animation job posting! I think it would be absolutely amazing to work with LAIKA, especially with the actual figures!
- General Summary
- The Facial Animator creates the performance of an animated character, conveying emotion, movement, action and personality. He or she analyzes the story reel and audio file for each shot in the film to create realistic facial performances including overall acting and detailed lip sync. This is done by analyzing hundreds of pre‐made faces (in prepared “face libraries”) and the Facial Animator will choose the most appropriate selection for each shot. The process also includes detailed head and camera animation for every shot. This allows for the accurate pre‐visualization of the facial animation for every (applicable) character shot in the film.
Essential Job Functions
- Creates rough animation for the Directors, Animation Supervisor, Facial Animation Supervisor, and Stop‐motion Animators for their approval.
- Works with Directors, Animation Supervisor, Facial Animation Supervisor, and Stop‐ motion Animators to finalize animation and prepare facial performances for the stage.
- Works several weeks ahead of the production schedule to ensure adequate time to meet with the Directors, Animation Supervisor, Facial Animation Supervisor, and the Stop‐motion Animators to perfect the facial performances before the scheduled shoot date.
- Takes creative direction from the Directors, Animation Supervisor, Facial Animation Supervisor, and Stop‐motion Animators to ensure the highest quality of facial animation possible.
- Responsible for the daily operations and scheduling of the Facial Animation office.
- Works with the Facial Animation Supervisor and stage Animators to ensure that all shots are delivered and revised with the highest of efficiency.
- Animates using computer software such as Maya.
- Has intimate knowledge of all face shapes in order to effectively match the directors’ performance requests.
- Reads and breaks down dialog tracks and plan shots.
- Does extensive testing of the faces for the RP department to ensure that the kits are built efficiently and accurately.
- Communicates daily with production and editorial to stay abreast of all changes in dialog and actions.
- Works with Face Librarians to avoid delays on stage when face conflicts arise, or when last minute changes are required.
- Identifies upcoming shots that may require building custom faces.
- Prepares exposure sheets and quick‐times for animators and for the editorial department.
- Helps with training new Facial Animators and Track Readers
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-2 years experience as an Animator in the entertainment industry
- Strong understanding of traditional animation principles.
- Stop Motion animation a PLUS.
- Working knowledge of Maya.
- Ability to bring characters to life.
- Acting skills are important.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
- Position Type